Wide gamut monitor experiences

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
samards Junior Member • Posts: 41
Wide gamut monitor experiences

A few years ago I bought Eizo CS-270, wide gamut monitor, in expectations that it would give me the right colors in post-processing. I must say that the monitor itself is great, uniform colors all over. I connect it to my Windows 10 system.

Then the first disappointments - Windows 10 is only quasi color managed! Actually on paper it is, you can make monitor color profile (with spyder for example). Then all depends on an application - if it would use it or not. So, standard windows Photo application is NOT color managed!!! That means it does not use the monitor profile, so you see all the colors way over-saturated...

Windows system - thumbnails , desktop screen etc - is also not color managed! So all the system screens and thumbnails are way over saturated...

Well all the standard photo apps are color managed so in photoshop/ligthroom you see the normal colors.

But it is very frustrating to watch all the time thumbnails - background images in windows with that unnatural colors...

The other problem is that I really do not see the reason to have wide gamut monitor if you do not print the photos. So, what I did is just made an ICC profile for sRGB space and my monitor emulates sRGB and uses new ICC profile, so that I can see colors normally now.

So, I'm still puzzled, is there any reason to buy WG monitor if you do not print the photos?

samards's gear list:samards's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow