RX1: is there an informed view about whether or when a new model will come?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Vitriol Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: RX1: is there an informed view about whether or when a new model will come?

Xavios wrote:

I see your point, except I do not see how not releasing firmware updates is a bad thing:

They are mainly to fix software errors in the core level, not to introduce new features.

Nowadays when everything is released half-baked, RX1r II looks to have a solid firmware. And it's still sexy as hell.

My only concern with its "age" is the speed it can display RAW photos on its screen: Would it be disturbingly slow, or something that one can easily live with.

Sony also releases close-to-ready products, like the other brands.

They could work on the issues reported since RX1Rii was released (cf. DPR's review):

• Atrocious battery life
  • Autofocus modes could be simplified
  • Sluggish performance when reviewing images
  • MENU SYSTEM NEEDS A REFRESH

Compared to Leica Q, which got some major FW updates during its shelf-life :

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0386227443/leica-improves-q-functionality-with-firmware-2-0

As far I know, the RX1r2 does not even include in-camera timelapse mode, and Sony did not spend the effort to support it. In comparison, the Sony A7/A9 got firmware updates with improvements and  new features. But like i wrote, people disappointed at the RX1 will not jump to a different product line, they'll just jump to another camera maker.

Vitriol's gear list:Vitriol's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Leica M9 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow