Theater Performance Lighting

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 873
Re: Theater Performance Lighting

Myer wrote:

As a favor, I photograph dress rehearsals for a theater group.

I use my Canon 70D and a Canon 70-300L lens. A few photos are taken using a Canon 15-85 lens. I have an old but fairly powerful Canon 550EX flash.

About a year ago the dramatic lighting used played havoc with the photos. So I decided to start using bounce flash off the ceiling of the theater.

I used a shutter speed of 1/320 sec. When I took a picture both flash units fired.

Does anybody have any experience doing this type of thing, any comments on what I'm trying to do or any comments on what else I might try that would work better.

Thanks.

I have some experience photographing dance in theater, both rehearsal and performance.  I can't even imagine using flash.

Here are examples for Ballet:  Spring  Nutcracker

Here are examples of a Ballet Professional Training Program

Here are examples for Jazz: Spring & Fall

Current camera bodies are Pentax K3II's.  Previously pairs of K5IIs and K5 bodies. Lenses used for rehearsal are 12-24/4 and either 28-75/2,8 or 17-70/4.  During performance from rear of theater, lenses are 50-135/2.8 and 100-300/4.

All manual exposure.  I get DNGs out of camera and do global adjust in ACR per lighting scene.  The blue and purple channels are always over saturated so just reduce saturation in ACR.  You need to PP these, at least for global adjustmets.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow