Landscape and 6D (original) versus R

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Better-DY Forum Member • Posts: 53
Landscape and 6D (original) versus R

Interested in anyone's perspectives that have used both cameras weighted toward  landscape photography. In particular interested in the materiality of bump up in dynamic range and resolution in larger printed media (index figures provided by DXO directionally and comparatively interesting, but not really helpful).  I like printing a couple of shots a season (sometimes more) at a larger 16 x 20 and 20 x 30-type sizes, then swap out framed pictures that hang on a wall in our house.  While I bracket some shots that can be more meticulously planned around, I can't always and pulling up overly dark shadows where I've metered for a brighter sky can create tolerance issues with the 6D (no doubt some deficiencies in technique [smile]).

The 6D has been outstanding.  Nonetheless I would love to have some of the new autofocus features in the R for street photography, candids and some occasional sports shooting. But the increase in dynamic range and resolution sound intriguing for landscapes that being the focus, but not really sure its a jump forward far enough to be worth upgrading.  A camera like the 5DsR (w/o antialiasing filter and higher resolution) would be interesting, but I worry that may push further toward being overly specialized as more exclusively a tool designed toward studio stills and landscapes as opposed to broader application and appeal of the 5DIV and R series.

Thanks for any input.  Probably "sit this one out" and wait to see what comes down the pike from Canon, but interested in any perspectives that might have me re-think it.

Better-DY's gear list:Better-DY's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow