50 mm and AF extension tubes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
photographer302 New Member • Posts: 1
50 mm and AF extension tubes

Hello, I have been taking macro photos using manual extension tubes for 7 years. To this day I think I still do not need a macro lens. But I wanted to try different extension tubes - those with contacts so I could use AF and change aperture without that great but time consuming trick (DOF button).

However, a guy in a shop told me, that on APS-C (1000D) I should only use more than 50 mm lenses.

This made me confused, because with the manual extension tubes I used 18-55, 17-85, 75-300, 70-200 and 50 mm with no problems at all. So I would like to ask, if there is really a problem using 50 mm and less lens with AF extension tubes (31 + 21 + 13 mm and their combinations).

Personally I like using my 50 mm/1.8 the best and I would not buy the tubes if they did not work with it. But, to tell the truth, I've never heard anything like that. Ok, maybe with some extremely wide lenses the subject has to be very close, problems with lighting the scene... But never heard something like "You can't use these if your focal length is less than 50 mm!"...

So, do you know what is the cause? Should I buy those anyway? Will I be able to use them with my 50 mm/1.8?

And, BTW, what are your experiences with AF using extension tubes? Mainly I want them because of the aperture thing, manual focus = no problem. But if the AF worked, it would be nice.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow