A9, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 1.4X TC, MC11 after FW5.0 update

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Greg Scace Forum Member • Posts: 72
A9, Sigma 150-600 Sport, 1.4X TC, MC11 after FW5.0 update

The combination of Sigma 150-600 sport, and MC11 became quite useable (for me anyway) after the firmware 5.0 update.  AF works all over the frame, the combination has all AF functionality available, and it's pretty quick - quicker than before but not as fast as Sony's GM100-400 with 1.4X TC.  The Sigma150-600 and GM 100-400 + 1.4x TC have nominally the same focal length, so why would you keep both around?  For me, the answer lies in the ability to use a 1.4X TC on the Sigma.  Indeed the A9 with Sigma 150-600 Sport + 1.4X TC will now autofocus with the AF point anywhere in the frame.  It's reasonably quick, and works reasonably well.   The attached 3 uncropped images demonstrate what the optical quality is - workable, but not as good as the 100-400 with 1.4X.  But the Sigma combo is 840mm.  I found Flexible spot small with tracking able to lock onto birds through tree limbs.  Expanded Flexible Spot with tracking was also very good.  Hit rates were on the order of 2 out of 3, which to me is pretty good for this work.  Birds are not stationary even when perched, and DOF limitations don't allow shooting at lower f numbers.  So shutter speeds are relatively slow.  These were shot using a monopod.

-Greg

Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow