I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 19,319
Re: I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Monica727 wrote:

Thank you for your input. I have been watching and photographing a bald eagle pair nesting in the next county over from mine, and I can't get closer than, say, 200 yards. I've been a little frustrated with the image sharpness. I've been shooting at shutter speed 1/1000, with my camera choosing the aperture. I haven't been sure if my "soft" images are due to lack of knowledge, slight camera shake when I press the shutter, the AF getting "confused" due to very nearby branches, or if it's just all I can expect from the setup I am using. I did read online that my Sigma 150-600 can get "soft" when fully extended at the 600 range, so I backed it off a bit. The images are nice, and not by any means "blurry"...they just don't show the really close detail I was hoping to get.

In the case of the eagles, getting closer might disturb their nesting, so I wouldn't want to try to approach. I have gotten decent shots in the Delaware Water Gap area in a kayak when I was able to get closer to perched eagles there.

I think you are right...I need to just enjoy the "hunt" of finding places to get closer to the animals. I live in an area where the opportunity is pretty abundant. If I had endless money to spend on camera equipment, I'd probably go full-out on a more professional "rig", but alas, that is not my life!

I just want to know that I'm doing the best I can with what equipment I have.

You might want to post one of your shots of the nesting bald eagles on the Nature and Wildlife forum.  Say that you are shooting from about 200 yards and ask if that is the best that you are going to get from that distance.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow