I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Monica727
OP Monica727 Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Thank you for your input.  I have been watching and photographing a bald eagle pair nesting in the next county over from mine, and I can't get closer than, say, 200 yards.  I've been a little frustrated with the image sharpness.  I've been shooting at shutter speed 1/1000, with my camera choosing the aperture.  I haven't been sure if my "soft" images are due to lack of knowledge, slight camera shake when I press the shutter, the AF getting "confused" due to very nearby branches, or if it's just all I can expect from the setup I am using.  I did read online that my Sigma 150-600 can get "soft" when fully extended at the 600 range, so I backed it off a bit.  The images are nice, and not by any means "blurry"...they just don't show the really close detail I was hoping to get.

In the case of the eagles, getting closer might disturb their nesting, so I wouldn't want to try to approach.  I have gotten decent shots in the Delaware Water Gap area in a kayak when I was able to get closer to perched eagles there.

I think you are right...I need to just enjoy the "hunt" of finding places to get closer to the animals.  I live in an area where the opportunity is pretty abundant.  If I had endless money to spend on camera equipment, I'd probably go full-out on a more professional "rig", but alas, that is not my life!

I just want to know that I'm doing the best I can with what equipment I have.

Monica727's gear list:Monica727's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow