G85 plus Pana Leica 100-400 ... shutter shock with mechanical shutter

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,435
G85 plus Pana Leica 100-400 ... shutter shock with mechanical shutter

So I'm really suffering here ... I have birds nesting next to a window and have some lovely images shot last spring with various lenses on my Nikon dSLRs ... and was salivating over the ability to shoot them with the G85 and 100-400 this year.

But the results have been poor. I run the shutter on auto, which usually means mechanical shutter in good light I find. And I get inexplicable blur on shots in full sun at 7.1 and 400mm with low ISOs ... I bump shutter to 1/2000s and it does not go away.

I'm pretty worried that I have to take the lens back and just shoot with my older 100-300, which has no such issues.

Thoughts? I have to get to work and will post samples later ...

EDIT: I experimented with the EFC and E shutters ... the results are better. I think the E shutter is giving excellent results. But I don't really like using only the E shutter. Should I really care if I have to use the eshutter? I just remember the old days when it knocked your raw down to 10bit etc ... not sure how it affects the G85.

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +17 more
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow