I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 15,661
Re: I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary..is the 1.4x teleconverter worth getting?

Monica727 wrote:

I recently bought a Nikon d3400, and have been having a wonderful time photographing wildlife. Mostly birds. I then decided to invest in a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens, since I was frustrated that I couldn't get closer to my subjects. I am also really enjoying the lens. I still would like a little extra zoom, but am wondering if I will lose anything in image quality with the 1.4x teleconverter.

In general a TC is only worth using on a good lens , which yours is. However, a 1.4X TC reduces the effective f-stop by 1 stop, so at the longest focal length (where you want the extra reach) your maximum f-number will be about f/9. Many cameras have difficulty with auto focus at small maximum f- numbers and, while your D3400 is s decent enough camera it is at the low end of capability as far as auto focus is concerned.

I'm pretty new at this. I just really enjoy photographing wildlife. I am an artist, and have a good eye, but not quite enough experience yet. I am shooting mostly in Shutter priority, since my subjects are often moving. I'm still working the kinks out of getting nice sharp images. I just ordered a monopod to help with stabilization. Any advice is appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow