D500 vs. D7500 - user input

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 3,793
D500 vs. D7500 - user input

Possible dumb question alert!!! 

I currently have the D7500 for birding, and it seems great so far. I'd love some input from people who have used BOTH the D7500 and D500 for BIFS in particular. Here is my question:

I've read many people say they use single point AF when shooting BIFS. If you are doing this, does the big number of 153 focus points (and 99 cross type) on the D500 make a substantial difference compared to the D7500's 51 points (15 cross type) if you are using single point anyway?

I'm trying to understand where the different numbers of focus points might come into play as an advantage. I can see a larger number of focus points being helpful when shooting landscapes and wanting a broad area to be sharp, for example. But how does it work out when using just single point focus on something like a single bird....I guess that's where I'm not understanding all this.

ALSO....if you have used both cameras, what kind of difference between the two cameras did you experience when shooting BIFS?

Thanks!

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500 +9 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow