Stills vs. Video: Why can't a camera shoot similar quality both?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JPolk84 New Member • Posts: 8
Stills vs. Video: Why can't a camera shoot similar quality both?

I'm a complete novice so here goes what may be a dumb question. I shoot a lot of video from a Sony Action cam (x3000). Let year, in an attempt to up my video game and the added benefit of good still images, I wanted to move to a good camera. Because I'm a novice I wanted something that shoots decently in auto modes but offered room to learn. I started with the RX100 line.

The first was the RX100iii and I was very impressed with the stills the camera could shoot. They were stunning! However, I found the video to be very soft and not very sharp compared to my x3000. I know the x3000 just keeps everything in view in focus, much like a smartphone, but I expected where the RX100iii did focus to be much clearer. I then moved to the RX100-V hoping for improvement. It was the same. Exactly the same, video-wise. I took video from both, showed it to people along side the x3000 video and invariably they picked the x3000 as being the better quality.

Then the RX0 came out and since it was touted as a great video camera I took the plunge. I realized it didn't have image stabilization so I didn't intend to completely replace my x3000 but rather to get good stationary video. I've been happy with the camera overall and it takes stills on par with the RX100 line, no doubt because the censor is the same. But the video is pretty the same story as the RX100iii and V.  I know one drawback is that it has 2 focal lengths: near mode and distance. But, like the RX100iii and V I expected better video quality where it did focus. The RX0, for instance, can track your face but the results are largely the same softness. Why wouldn't my face be clearer or sharper if that's the focus point?

What I don't get is why stills have a completely different quality than the video does? Is that just something true for cameras that do both? Using Sony's Intelligent Auto setting for stills and video will show completely different results. I realize there is more to shooting than Auto but I'd expect similar results from the same camera, lens, and setting under the same conditions in a given mode but clearly I'm missing something , not getting it, and I freely admit it. I think what I want from the camera is pretty straight-forward but perhaps I'm asking something much more complicated to answer here. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

ANSWER:
Sony DSC-RX0 Sony RX100 Sony X3000R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow