Buy A7ii deal or an APS-C?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Emberly Junior Member • Posts: 26
Buy A7ii deal or an APS-C?

I’m a hobbyist photographer that hasn’t owned a camera in about a year or so. I photograph the kids (The ones I photograph most often are less than 7 years old) in the family, family outings, and things that I’ve crafted (flat lays of sewn outfits, baked goods, etc.) primarily. I also take photos at street fairs and farmers markets occasionally.

I’m interested in growing my skills in family documentary photography, but not as a business.

I also have a soft box that I won years ago but haven’t bought a stand or flash for yet. I may want to try using it in the future.

I owned a Nikon D70 with 50mm 1.8 for about 7 years before the camera died (I still have both camera and lens), then an Olympus em10 mark ii with Panasonic 20mm 1.7 for a bit, then a Nikon D5500 with kit lens and the aforementioned 50mm 1.8 for about a year. I’m not a gear head and don’t have a huge budget, so I don’t expect to buy more than 1-3 lenses over the course of my ownership of a new camera.

Over the years I’ve rented a Nikon D7000 with 35mm lens (I really liked that focal length on it), a Fujifilm xt10 with kit lens (I loved it other than the way the noise reduction behaved in low light and a few other small things), and most recently a Sony A6500 with Sigma 16mm 1.4 (my favorite with it other than the size and weight) and Sony FE 50mm 1.8.

I’ve also rented the Canon 5D Mark iii with the Canon 24-70 2.8L and the Nikon D610 with the Sigma 24-35 f2. I found editing to be easier on the photos (I assume partially due to the lenses which I can’t afford but love!) I took with those two cameras and felt a lot more inspired, so I had a lot more keepers. I think that I also like a wider field of view, which those lenses offered on a FF camera.

I have been considering the a7ii and Canon RP and got some good answers and information to look into in another forum, but I’d like you all’s input as well.

Would I be better served by buying a newer ASP-C camera than the a7ii? Is the a7ii a good buy if someone can’t afford the a7iii?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow