Nikon Z6 dynamic range now and after ProResRaw upgrade

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jppark New Member • Posts: 8
Nikon Z6 dynamic range now and after ProResRaw upgrade

This is my first post, so apologies if it is in the wrong place; I'm sure I can rely on the wisdom of a moderator to move it if needs be.

I am a long time Nikon user.  In recent years video has become more important to me than once it was.  Given my Nikkor F-mount lenses, the Z6 might seem an obvious new purchase.

However, the Z6's 4k dynamic range (ooc in H.264 144Mbps mode) is a little disappointing.  Doubtless N-log in 10 but recorded externally is better.  However, what really interests me is the DR potentiality of 12 bit ProRes Raw, via Atomos.

In terms of the current mirrorless full-frame models that record 4k using full sensor readout, it is clear that (re DR) in ooc H.264 (no log) that

Z6(DR) < A7iii(DR) < S1(DR)

I often shoot video material in which there is a high native DR so seeking to derive maximum DR out of a new camera purchase is important to me.

My question: can anyone reliably approximate (from the codec/math/objective criterion) what will be the likely DR capabilities of the Z6 when shooting in 12 bit ProRes Raw to an Atomos, when the relevant firmware becomes available?  Or is it dependent upon entirely camera-specific variables such as Nikon's processing of the sensor read-out prior to its being 'delivered' to the external Atomos recorder?

Thank you in advance.

Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow