Best pixel quality ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fishchris
Fishchris Senior Member • Posts: 4,483
Best pixel quality ?

I post over here once in a while, and I usually make it clear right off the bat > my dream camera is the D850 (in spite of the fact I'm kind of stuck with Canon for the time being)

Now, my primary concern / goals, are to make really BIG but of course, aesthetically pleasing prints, that can be pixel peeped from 6 inches. To that end, I really have no choice but to stitch images, especially with my old (beloved) dinosaur, the Canon 6D.... but even if I could afford a D850, 46mp's is not even close to what I want either (100-300+mp's) so Id still be having to stitch to make big enough images anyway. Granted, it would take fewer images, which might be a little less work.... But not much, as Id still have to go through all the same steps. Maybe Id just be doing more 3 x 4's instead of 6 x 8's ?

Anyway, this morning I started looking more closely at 100% crops from the D850, and I hate to say it, but I'm not terribly impressed. Yes, I totally get the part about how they compare to other smaller MP camera when sized down, but that is not really important for my purposes. I was actually surprised at how well the pixels of my 7yr old 6D looked at 100% compared to the D850 ?

Long story short, if I'm going to be stitching as many images as I need to make as large of files as I want anyway, should I be looking at another, lower MP camera, which makes noticeably cleaner pixels ? ...... along with a Gigapan pro to waay more easily stitch 12 x 12's ... or more ?

What prosumer camera (say $6K or less) do you think makes the cleanest pixels ?

PS, for those rare times when I must take a shot in one frame (wildlife and such) Id still love to have a D850. I know it could still make nice (little ) 30 x 40's

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
Website
www.LightInEveryCorner.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/161603079@N02/
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809
No time or attention given for negativity or trolls.

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow