Sony RX10 IV vs Canon 7D mk II & 100-400 IS mk II

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
david31
david31 Regular Member • Posts: 322
Sony RX10 IV vs Canon 7D mk II & 100-400 IS mk II

Here are a few images comparing the quality of the RX10 IV vs Canon 7D with the 100-400 IS mk II, shot at Slimbridge Wetland Centre.

All shots are handheld.  I wasn't taking as much care taking the shots as I could have, so better technique might have produced better results.

Both cameras set to 400 ISO.

Virtually all of the images are at maximum focal length, i.e 600mm on the Sony and 560 mm equivalent on the Canon.

Canon aperture f/5.6, +1/3 EV

Sony aperture f/4, 0 EV

Canon jpg images sharpened 52% with 0.2 pixel.

Sony images jpgs direct from the camera.

The Sony is very sharp but has more noise.

My 100-400 IS seems to back focus sometimes  or just be a bit off.

I was shooting the Canon by mistake in mode 3 image stabilization but soon switched to mode 1 with much better results.

Obviously the birds are not perfectly stable so that will introduce some variation to the images.

I bought the RX10 IV to replace my Panasonic FZ1000 for use when hiking after being very impressed with my wife's RX100 VI.

I have seen some failure to focus on birds in flight but that my be my lack of experience or poor technique.

The focus point on the right hand Canon image was on the eye.  This clearly shows back focus.

Canon EOS 7D Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow