Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

Started Apr 13, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP sanosai Regular Member • Posts: 207
Re: Clarifying Points

dkeller wrote:

Note he used a flash for these shots so the 1/80 S shutter speed isn't relevant as the flash in producing an effective exposure on less than 1/1000 S.

How much of your shooting will be true macro in the 1:1 range? It is the very close range where autofocus doesn't matter and steadiness isn't an issue ONLY when using flash or a tripod.

Most of my shooting will be true 1:1 macro, yes.

If you are using this as a close up (as opposed to macro) without flash or tripod than both auto focus and stabilization DO become important considerations. Also consider general use as a 90mm lens in non-closeup/macro situations.

As I currently own no other lenses (expect for the 16-50mm kit lens), I also intend to use the 90mm for landscape use as well. I know, not very ideal (as it's not wide enough), even more considering I d be using it on an a6300 (where essentially it becomes 135mm!)

I am slightly leaning towards the Sony now - not because of the AF, OSS goodies - but mostly because I read that on 1:1 macro it is slightly sharper (the Voigtlander gains the upper hand in longer distances). Given the fact that 1:1 macro will be my primary use of the lens, I guess the Sony makes more sense.

Despite the undisputed superior quality build for the Voigtlander, it's been 4 years since the Sony has been released. It still receives excellent critics and I haven't come across any complains in regards to it failing in any way. In fact, I ve heard complains on few Sony GM lenses failing to work properly - but I guess some failure rate is inevitable for any product/manufacturer. In my case for the particular lens, the main concern is that I ll be lucky enough to get a decent copy of it, but when purchasing time comes, I might be calling here for help to verify that! I ll have to check with local shops here on the return policy on that (e.g. how many days, how can I prove I got a bad/de-centered copy etc). But I ll try to be positive about it

sanosai's gear list:sanosai's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow