BIF photography settings advice

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
p0ppyman
p0ppyman Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: BIF photography settings advice

dimvou wrote:

I am trying to photograph some birds in flight and I am using my dslr in manual mode setting manually shutter speed and aperture and living iso in auto.

I set also metering mode to spot but the photographs most of the time tend to be underexposed for the bird and exposed for the sky. I am able to recover the shadows afterwards but I lose most of the details of the bird. Is there a way to have consistent results of the photos exposure in camera ?

Thanks.

I've only shot BIF twice so my knowledge is limited. When I did I used shutter priority as a starting point. I rented the Tamron 150-600mm for the weekend and I had a blast.

I used multi-segment metering for the two images below.

It taught me what "reach" really meant.

It increased my appreciation for those who focus on BIF and do it very well.

Everyone's photography journey is different which is understandable.

While I prefer portrait photography because of my passion for people and all the great and amazing things they do, I'm making sure I try out the other genres of photography.

As my wife and I start traveling more in our RV to fly fishing destinations I see the Tamron 150-600mm lens being in my camera bag. I just need to convince her since she is the CFO!

-- hide signature --

Bill Poplawski (Photographer)
San Mateo, CA 94402
~ there is beauty in every face ~
https://www.billpoplawskiphotography.com

p0ppyman's gear list:p0ppyman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow