RAW+JPG, is this the right approach? And to delete RAW for snapshots?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JackEig New Member • Posts: 9
RAW+JPG, is this the right approach? And to delete RAW for snapshots?

Only in the last 18 months have I realised the capabilities of a RAW file to rescue an over or under exposed image. Really useful if the "one great shot" I manage to get is slightly too dark or too bright. However assuming exposure is correct, I am mostly very happy with the JPGs that I get out of my Nikon D7100 and Fuji X-E2.

Most of the photos I take are "snapshots" of my family. They will not be printed out in a large format to hang on the wall. A small selection of them might be incorperated into a photobook at the end of the year, otherwise they will simply be shared with family and friends - and most likely viewed on a handheld device! In addition I do not have time in my life to spend hours post processing my images. Most of the time if it looks great on the camera, why do anything more? JPGs are so much smaller, and easier to share, and quicker to transfer and backup. And 99% of the time they look great.

For all these reasons I have always shot JPG and not RAW.

However since my aforementioned discoverey about RAW files being able to save badly exposed photos, I have started shooting JPG+RAW in both of my cameras. This is becuase I love the advantaged of JPG so much, I don't want to lose them - but it's nice to have the backup of the RAW file just in case I mess up the exposure on an unrepeatable shot. And also if I do happen to take a photo that I want to print out big and hang on the wall, I've got all that extra detail in the RAW file.

I get the sense from reading around that shooting RAW+JPG is frowned upon, but for my purposes it seems a good compromise.

However, now I've taken the RAW files, I'm finding my hoarders mentality means I don't want to get rig of them - even for the photos where I'm more than happy with the JPG, and the photo is not special enough to be printed out or anything like that.

This means my storage and backups are filling up way quicker than before.

Also it is presumable slowing down my camera having to save both files at the same time?

Am I going about this the right way?

Is there a reason to keep a RAW file if I am happy with the JPG, and am happy that I won't ever want to do any kind of postprocessing on that image in the future?

Or should I just shoot all in RAW? Is there a way to exactly replicate the JPGs that are produced in-camera from just a RAW file? Then perhaps I could create all the JPGs afterwards, and then only keep the RAW files for the photos that are extra special or badly exposed? (I realise I can produce JPG's from the RAW files in all RAW editing programs, but they never seem to look as good as the JPGs that I get straight out of the camera - unless perhaps I spend ages finely tweaking each file - which I really can't be bothered to do!).

Am I wrong to want to delete most of the RAW files? It just seems crazy to store and backup all those extra massive files for photos that are basically just snapshots and will never be viewed in a way that will allow that extra detail to be seen.

Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow