Learning To Use My New 300mm F4 AF-S

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Keegan_007 New Member • Posts: 14
Learning To Use My New 300mm F4 AF-S

Hi All,

I recently purchased the above lens after spending a lot of time researching on line to see if it would be beneficial to add it to my bag. I have recently taken up an interest in wildlife photography and I wanted something to give my images the nice looking out of focus background rendering without breaking the bank.

I purchased a used copy of the 300mm F4 AF-S for AU$408, cosmetically the lens looks as new.

Now this is where I need your advice as I seem to get inconsistent results with the lens. Currently the lens has a fine tune adjustment of +15 on my D500 & D7500. Some images I'm really please with, some images are ok and others are so far to the other extreme I can't work out what's going on.

Going into this purchase I knew about the poor tripod mount. So I shoot at 1/1000s and above where possible when handholding and when using a tripod.

The pictures below are a few images I have taken over the last few days. I"d appreciate any comments on the images (particularly the soft images) and also my expectations on the sharpness of this lens.

F4, Focus dead on the eye, I'm happy with this image.

F4, Focus dead on the tip of the nose. I'm not sure about this image, should the fur on the face be sharper?

F4, Focus dead on the tip of the nose, I'm not happy with this image.

F4, Focus dead on the tip of the nose, I'm not happy with this image.

Keegan_007's gear list:Keegan_007's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sigma 70-200 F2.8 DG OS HSM +4 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow