Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

Started Apr 13, 2019 | Discussions thread
OP sanosai Regular Member • Posts: 207
Re: Sony 90mm G Macro vs Voigtlander 110mm Macro APO

Gandalf2401 wrote:

Lens Stabilization was on, but I don't think it made a big difference. My Sony a7i does not have body stabilization. Magnification was not more than 1:1, but I did a little cropping in lightroom. When moving slowly, insects often stay at their position. It's like hunting, except nothing get killed at the end.

Getting 'shot' but not killed

Slowest shutter speed (1/80sec) was the image with the green fly. I wonder what's the slowest shutter speed can be used (on an unsteady hand such as mine!) and still retain that sharpness you ve achieved in those shots.

If the lack of image stabilization isn't much of an issue (lack of AF too - as many suggest), then, there's nothing between the Sony and the Voigtlander (that lacks both). In the case of 1:1 macro shooting, only thing that should matter is the sharpness achieved by either of those two lenses whilst 1:1 and at minimum focus distance. I am talking wide open, and throughout the entire image (center, corners). For which there's not conclusive evidence yet, as most reviews for the 110 APO are still rolling

Other 'nice to have' features include video shooting - for which the Sony should have the upper hand (as you definitely need AF there - maybe even stabilization I daresay!)

Then, it's build quality and weather proofing consideration - which will last longer in the long term. E.g. that Voigtlander extends which probably means there's more chance of it accumulating dirt over the long term. The Sony, although it doesn't extend externally whilst focusing, could well be prone to humidity/moisture entering via the buttons on the lens body.

I m paranoid right? Most votes so far go for the Sony...

sanosai's gear list:sanosai's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow