BIF / Wildlife with manual lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
parblo New Member • Posts: 5
BIF / Wildlife with manual lenses

M43 is a new discovery for me, after spending years owning a DSLR that I only shot sporadically. I'm loving the form factor, the designs and the features. I also love the small lenses, but I only have a 15mm 1.7, 45 1.8 and a 40-150 R. I tried using the 40-150 for animals and flowers, but I didn't really like the results. I haven't saved enough for a quality zoom yet, so yesterday I went out with my GX9 and a Nikkor 180mm 2.8 with a speed booster adapter.

I didn't really know what to expect and I made a bunch of mistakes, but it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to go again. I'm definitely not good enough to shoot birds in flight yet, but I'm hoping I'll get better. But what I wondered about most was image quality from this lens+camera combination. And to my eyes, the image quality looks as good as any shot with native lenses. But I have to admit I'm definitely biased; the 180 is one of my favorite lenses and I was going to sell it to help fund a zoom. Now I'm telling myself I'd rather keep it and not get the zoom (yet). I wonder if I'm just ignoring some obvious faults in image quality that more experienced wildlife photographers would easily see, so I'd like to ask other members to tell me what they think.

Also, has anyone else tried a similar combination? What was your experience like?

Here are some of the pics I took. Most of them are straight out of camera jpegs. A couple them were a little dark (didn't realize my exposure dial was at -2/3), so I adjusted the exposure.

shadows +70

shadows +70, exposure +0.4

This is the only one that's been cropped. I tried to upload the original but the Lightroom app is taking forever to upload the full res file so I gave up on it.

Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow