Macro Mode vs. Just Zooming In

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Anders_K Regular Member • Posts: 330
Re: Macro Mode vs. Just Zooming In

Boo wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

Boo wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

Thanks Anders. It is a little "soft" in the top left. Probably because I tend to use F4 all the time and was focused on the spider. I haven't used focus stacking as all my shots are hand held and I don't think it works so well like that. There's no doubt that stacking works though. I have seen some great results.

This is why I haven't considered the FZ1000 (although the lure of a 1" sensor is very appealing) as it doesn't do post focus 4k vids to use for focus stacking (as I do, hand held, with my FZ330 and really enjoy) but for me, is one of the big upgrades in the Mkii and makes it much more attractive - when the price is sensible, that is.

The software is actually pretty good at accounting for movement, so if you're pretty steady (my hands are very still, but I can't stand still) you could do 3 or 4 frames with focus in different places and stack those - if you have function button or something in easy reach to move focus points. Again, without a touch screen, you lose some of this advantage that other models have.

But it might be worth a try, even hand held, as the software is surprisingly forgiving. If I get a few minutes today I might try it with my FZ330 and see if it's forgiving enough.

Thanks for the info, Boo.

I hadn't forgotten about this - I had a few minutes in the garden today with my camera so gave it a try - as I was curious too. My first attempts were as I suggested above, trying to hold framing and move the focus point over the scene and take multiple shots with focus in different places. That sounds easy enough, but harder in execution than I'd expected. I knew that hand-held, keeping framing would be tricky, but hoped I could get close enough for the software to still use the images. It didn't help that it was very breezy today and the sun was in and out every few minutes.

My second method - which was better/easier - was to establish approximate focus and then switch to manual focus and half-press the shutter button ready and use peaking to fire the shot when the bit I wanted was in focus, moving back and forth a tiny amount to get different places within the scene to have good focus. Focus peaking doesn't always work well, so this can be hit and miss.

My OOC frames looked good enough initially when flicking through them, that I thought I might get decent results, but whilst the stacking of focus parts went well enough, I think the changes in perspective were too much for the software after all.

The manual focus peaking frames looked like they'd be the best sets, which they were, but not good enough to be worth it. It was the OOF areas that actually suffered worst, with more ghosting than I expected - and I suspect this was more to do with changes in size and perspective, albeit subtle, than my movement and a change in framing. Moving back and forth to establish focus over a field of view of an inch or two, still allowed enough change in perspective for OOF items to be enough of a different size to allow them to ghost.

I think with my FZ330 propped better with a monopod, or the stick I've been trying for steadiness and using the touch screen for focus in different places might prove better, but I was trying to not use features that the FZ1000 doesn't have.

This was the best of my attempts. Unfortunately, I think this is a Harlequin ladybird.

Better DOF but it comes at a price that's not worth it.

Same scene as a single shot, to compare the DOF of the individual frames:

Single frame, less DOF, but cleaner and sharper too

You went to great lengths to do it manually. AFAIK the FZ330 offers semi-automatic in-camera focus stacking based on 4k bursts (if not a firmware update may be necessary).

The subject did not profit from focus stacking because the background does not contain an interesting story worth looking at.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Boo
Boo
Boo
Boo
Boo
Boo
Boo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow