Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Minolta_A2 Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: A few BIFs

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Minolta_A2 wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

S Jones wrote:

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Thanks for all the very nice responses, I think I must be getting something right.

Oh I would say so!

You are one of those people whose posts I read regularly.

I seem to remember that you used to get great images using SAF and used it quite a lot.

I was wondering, now that you have had the G9 for a while, what your ratio of SAF to CAF is or where your preferences lie.

Thanks for the posts.

Stephen

I use SAF by default, occasionally play with CAF but still don't see much advantage (or disadvantage come to that).

Hello Trevor,

Let me ask you about using SAF in BIF. If you use SAF, not CAF, does that mean that the birds will be out of focus if they move? By how much, I believe it depends on the distance and F-number. If so, is your technique that you burst shoot the birds until you think they are out of focus(maybe one or a few seconds if they are in the air), then release the shutter, then focus again in a new position?

I am still learning BIF (G9 and 100-300ii), and so far I've been using CAF. I wonder how you use SAF in BIF shooting.

Oh, and why do you choose SAF over CAF?

Thanks
KJ

p.s. Great pictures btw. Also sorry if some of those are mentioned in other comments/posts.

My reasons for using SAF is largely historic. I have been using digital cameras for 14 years and until now CAF on all my cameras has appeared to me to be marginally slower than SAF. In addition to that I tend to shoot quite fast birds and the biggest issue is human ability to keep track of the bird. IMHO that is far more the problem than any camera issues. Consequently I have considered the focus speed benefit to be more important than whatever CAF gives me. If I was shooting faster slower birds, eg eagles, I may have behaved differently. So I have shot in SAF with all my efforts concentrated on following the bird and frequently refocusing. Now with the G9 the focusing speed is so fast that the method still works fine for me. However CAF has also been constantly improving and as a result I now shoot in SAF or CAF without noticing much difference.

I am still dubious when people say that CAF is critical because I just don't see how Joe Average follows fast birds in the viewfinder enough to get the benefit that CAF or tracking gives you. Much better in my opinion to refocus frequently but by all means use CAF while doing it because there may be some benefit. DOF is a problem for me if I am shooting very long and relatively close and need to keep my wits about me to ensure maximum success.

One fairly obvious last point is try and get BIFs in a level eye of sight field so hat even if it is coming towards you and going past you, the best chances of success without DOF or focusing problems is when it passes your position.

Thank you for the comment. I will definitely try SAF in the next BIF practice!

Minolta_A2's gear list:Minolta_A2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus E-PL9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow