Olympus 300mm f4 ~ first impressions

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,069
Olympus 300mm f4 ~ first impressions

Hi all

I treated myself to this lens as needed that longer reach for wildlife in general but birds in particular.  This is for use on the E-M1 mk2

As titled, first impressions:-

1) a nice solidly well built lens.

2) Re: the lenshood ~ this slightly(?) unusual design has been mentioned here before.....but here is what I found, so to speak.

2a) out of the box with the hood in the retracted position it turned freely counter-clockwise and not at all clockwise (I was not going to force it!)

2b) the action of sliding the hood out was quite stiff with firmish resistance.  But the instruction manual says once extended to rotate it clockwise, which I surmise is to do with locking it in the extended position.  I have no idea how much force might be required to so rotate it but it did not want to turn so I have not forced it!  NB unlike when retracted it did not turn counter-clockwise either.

2c) having tried it a few times (retract & extend) ~ I now (compared to #2a above) noted in the retracted position it would turn freely in either direction.

2d) So it does seem well engineered in one sense but possibly so well engineered that it does not readily "perform as per instructions", in another sense!

3) First few frames fired off it seems as sharp and snappy in focusing as the reviews say it is.

3a)  In regard to the "On Lens IS" I find it seems to be needed 100% of the time, because with it turned off I do see some viewfinder movement of the subject.

3b) Shutter shock ~ IMO there is some very immediately obvious shutter shock using the mechanical shutter but none (as far as I could tell so far) when using the electronic silent shutter.  (NB very much as I read in the Imaging Resource review of this lens)

Just need to get out there and photograph a few different subjects

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow