When ISO 409600 is not enough...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
_vlad Senior Member • Posts: 2,381
Re: When ISO 409600 is not enough...

Akkerman54 wrote:

I think most of you know the excellent low light capabilities of the Huawei P30 Pro, the camera can go up to ISO 409600 to take photos in low light surroundings.

But sometimes in very dark situations even ISO 409600 is not sufficient. So I began to play with some settings.

What do you think?

Note: I used a tripod with all photos.

Regards

Akkerman54

There are several ways how to get the best result in those extremes. Obviously HighIso and Night modes. In night mode - when you do not get what you exoected, it is worth to try manually set the sensitivity and define the scene reference point (either leaving the camera to evaluate the scene or tapping in shadows or highlights).

Also depends how much DR is in the scene - as Nightmode has significantly higher Dynamic range thus showing details not only in lights and midtones (most phones can do this) but even in shadows and near-blacks. DR in HighIso mode is limited and operation controls as well - however you have advantage of shooting with 1/17s or so unlike several seconds as with NightMode. Implications are clear.

However most misundestood is the fact, that you do not need to shoot ultra-low-light shots to benefit from P30P HW/processing. Each situations when you need faster shutter speed and higher ISO (aka 800/1600/3200) are mostly no go for regular phone. And those situations are not rare until one shoot only outdoors at full light.

-- hide signature --

Vlad

_vlad's gear list:_vlad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow