P30 Pro RAW processing and issues

Started Apr 13, 2019 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
melodika New Member • Posts: 17
P30 Pro RAW processing and issues

Just got the phone couple of days ago. I was kind of hoping the image quality could finally be on par with the old Nokia 808 and so far it's been kind of a mixed bag. In-camera JPG processing might be better than on P20 Pro but it's still quite far from the natural look I'm after. The only way to get close is to shoot in RAW and carefully process the files.

Some observations related to working with the RAW files:

- 40 mp files produced by the new RYYB sensor have great detail at least in the middle of the frame at base iso. There's noise but it's quite film-like. Vignetting is present but it's nothing I would worry abot too much.

However, there are some rather serious drawbacks when working with the P30 Pro RAW files produced by the RYYB sensor:

- By default colors are off. This is probably caused by the new sensor design. I found that particularly reds are off and look more like orange. This could be corrected in Camera Raw by adjusting HSL slider for oranges all the way to -100. Photos also have slightly greenish cast which could be corrected similarly although it's a bit tedious to get all this right. I wish these issues could be fixed with a firmware update.

It is worth to note that the 20 mp RAW files produced by the wide angle sensor are easier to work with as it's a traditional RGB sensor and therefore the color issues are not present. Same applies to the telephoto sensor.

Some samples (40mp sensor, processed with Camera Raw and resized to 12mp):

And one with the wide angle sensor (20mp, processed with Camera Raw and resized to 12mp):

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow