Best DAM software for someone starting from scratch?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
BigBen08 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,174
Re: Best DAM software for someone starting from scratch?

Hans de Zomers wrote:

Bobthearch wrote:

If I need a photo of "Aunt Gertrude" from the 2010 reunion, I simply look in the folder /2010/Reunion. It's not rocket science and only takes two seconds.

Sure, if I hardly have pictures of my Aunt Gertrude, whom I've met at the reunion in 2010 then I'd also not have much difficulty finding it on the file system.

But if I want to find that one picture of my son who was playing with water in the pool then I'd have a hard time finding it without my DAM. I wouldn't know the exact year, and the event could have been anything, or even just a random day at the house. And I take a few thousand pictures per year so I'd have to wade through a lot to find it.

In my DAM I enter my son's name and pool and it will be presented to me in milliseconds.

But I can imagine that when you don't have a lot of pictures in your archive that you'd be able to find any picture fairly quickly without using a DAM

I agree, I need to be able to search photos based on tags (or some kind of data). And also be able to search for photos taken by a particular camera.

-- hide signature --

My best aviation photos: https://500px.com/kenfm2018

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow