How to completely erase personal stuff from a computer, without formatting and reinstalling Windows?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
DMKAlex
OP DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 4,662
Re: How to completely erase personal stuff from a computer

rb0321 wrote:

DMKAlex wrote:

XiaoDeer wrote:

DMKAlex wrote:

How to completely erase personal stuff from a computer, without formatting and reinstalling Windows? Windows 10.

There is no method that I would trust. Windows create two many caches all over the system drive. No way to be sure they're all gone.

Use the Windows Media Create Tool to create a bootable DVD or thumb. Than zap the drive completely -- I normally use DBAN. Then do a basic Win 10 install from the media your created. It doesn't take long at all.

Pretty straight forward and you'll know it's done right.

My computer was originally Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 10.

So I can create a bootable media (USB) and format the disk and boot from the USB. Then I can go on Microsoft to download the Windows 10 OS. Do I use the sticker on the back of my laptop as the key?

Just played around with this recently using an older 'donated' PC running Win 7. With the bootable media creation tool USB, I first ungraded to Win 10 successfully (yes, using the key on the sticker) then I used the bootable USB to install Win 10 on an SSD I picked up. You don't have to download Win 10 beforehand as the USB gets what it needs automatically.

Can you give me the instruction on how to create a USB bootable?

Thanks.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow