D800: LENS STRUGGLING TO TURN WHEN CAMERA IS HELD PORTRAIT

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Richmcqueenphoto Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: D800: LENS STRUGGLING TO TURN WHEN CAMERA IS HELD PORTRAIT

rapick wrote:

Since you don't meet any problem when using your other old AF lens, it is most probably the lens, not the camera.

What can you do?

• Carry the lens to an independent repair expert (Nikon Service will probably refuse to even touch that 'vintage' lens). Be prepared to pay more than the actual lens value. If spare parts are needed, they could be quite difficult to find.
  • Make a google search for 'Nikkor 28-85 3.5-4.5 AF repair'. You will possibly learn how to safely disassemble the lens, understand the problem and eventually clean and lubricate. Lubrication of lens internals looks like a critical operation, due to possible migration of lubricant droplets onto the glass elements! If you try this way, I wish you good luck!
  • But since I understand you make a professional use of the gear, and reliability matters, my advice is to buy a modern lens. Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR is a nice lens, and AFAIK can be easily found at good price mildly used or 'white box' - It used to be offered as a kit lens with D800, so it is a perfect match with your camera (and you gain VR!)

Hope I have helped!

i wouldn't take it to get repaired since they can be purchased for $50. I was more so worried it being the d800 AF motor.

I got the older lenses due to easy carry and packing during traveling + sharpness is amazing & speed of AF is amazing. The newer lenses are more bulky and heavier. Im looking to purchase the tamron 24-85mm SP VC over the nikon version.

thanks for the input, I would like to toy around with the lens and see if I can oil it a bit.

Paul P K wrote:

I still own and use both a D800 although not the 28-85mm but rather the also old (even if compared to the 3.5-4.5 28-85mm more recent) non VR 3.5-4.5/24-85mm AFS as well as other older Nikon AF D and third party screw drive AF lenses

Never encountered any problems as described with the D800 and any of the lenses Rather then seek blame with the D800, I would first check the lens

Based on your description I get the impression it's a pretty old model https://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/AFNikkor/AF2885mm/index1.htm , discontinued in 1999, so probably already has had a bit of a life

That model is a AF D lens, with a screw drive to power the AF (so no internal AF motor that could have started to wear down) From my experience excessive wear of the screw drive between the lens and body seems very unlikely

Since the (also pretty old, from the same era as the 28-85mm) 4.0-5.6/70-210 has no operational issues with the D800, I would rather check the mechanical state of the 28-85mm

Check whether the electronic contacts haven't worn down, or whether the lens has developed some play when mounted on the body causing the electronic contact between the lens and body to fail/falter

Given the ageof the lens it probably isn't worth it to waste a lot of money to have itrepaired, and more economical to find a more recent alternative

I was thinking it could be some play between the lens and the camera so I disconnected then checked to make sure I mounted the lens properly. Im starting to think it has more to do with the lens since when I turn the ring to go from 35mm-28mm it get stiff. Its not a smooth turn between those two. I blew that off because its not all the time.

Ill have to purchase another one since I really like the portability and the quality of the pictures I get with the lens.

Richmcqueenphoto's gear list:Richmcqueenphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow