EOS RP L bracket?

Started Apr 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
Rock and Rollei Senior Member • Posts: 2,294
Re: EOS RP L bracket?

Keith Cooper wrote:

atpphoto wrote:

yoshi wrote:

Any RP owners get a L bracket for their camera?

i can’t find one that’s specific to the RP and not sure about taking any chances on a universal one.

Reallrightstuff has one available for pre-order, but their prices are ridiculous. SmallRig’s will be just as good and probably half the price.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/canon-eos-rp-plates

Whilst I appreciate I've fairly large hands, I'm not seeing the benefits of these brackets with the big bottom plates.

Is it really that much of an issue, the small height of the RP?

I guess it must be or Canon wouldn't have supplied the RP with a free bottom plate just for the US market.

Anyone getting an RP here in Europe, also splashing out for the Canon baseplate?

I assumed it was more for anti-twist purposes - I did once have some cheap L plate for my 5D that was worse than useless because of the twisting.
As to the RP height, well I bought the R in large part because it felt a lot more comfortable to me - not so much the height, but the depth and shape of the grip. I don't have particularly big hands, but neither are they that small, and I do find the M5, M6 and M50 all perfectly fine to use. I didn't like the 5D III, much preferring the 6D, but the 5D IV is also very comfy for me. The RP just doesn't hit the sweet spot, and I'm not one that minds having my little finger under the camera base. The baseplate would make no difference to me personally whatsoever. That said, I know there are people who feel very uncomfortable if they don't have a home for that finger.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow