Sony 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 is sharper than ZA 16-70 f/4

Started Apr 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
hungrylau Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
CA, purple fringing, highlights and shadows etc

dbronson wrote:

and just because i like to beat a dead horse, i took the zeiss f4 image and the sony at 135 and compared them, they both are close, but where the zeiss wins hands down is the lack of CA and or purple fringe. this may not be important...but it seems like the more expensive lenses control this artifact better..so zeiss costs more cause of better glass and therefore less CA...or so the theory goes.

all pics are 18-135 lens on left, zeiss f4 right. ( both great lenses imho, you really have to look hard to notice the differences)

again with all due respect to the OP, i don't think the 18-135 is sharper...but it is a damn fine lens. thanks for taking the time to post the pics. one day i may buy one of these lenses, i think it will come down to price...the sony is half the price, but not half the quality...cheers.

sharpness close i think edge to zeiss

i think the zeiss has a more pleasing OOF bokeh...but thats personal taste. dont like the red shift in the sony images.

200% crop to exaggerate purple fringe of the 18-135; almost none if any from zeiss lens.

Having swapped the 1670z for the kit lens, the 24z for the e35 and the 12mm Touit for the 12mm samyang, I can say that the difference was in pleasing colour, contrast, shadow and highlight control straight out of camera.

The Zeiss/sony lenses simply gave me more pleasing results to the eye, especially with skin tones and significantly reduced my editing time.

Even second hand, none of these lenses have been cheap but as time flies and with more photos taken, they have paid for themselves imo.

-- hide signature --
 hungrylau's gear list:hungrylau's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 50
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow