Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,698
A Few Files From Yesterday, April 4

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Looking forward to your initial trials!

Cheers,

Rick

I don't think anyone who uses either the 12-40mm f2.8 or 12-100mm f4 is going to mistake this lens as anything close to an equal, but it's an "OK" performer and certainly covers the range pretty darn well.

I took it out for a while yesterday and will be using it quite a bit again today. No doubt, it's going to be a while before DXO gets this lens, let alone the E-M1X, into their catalog of profiled items so I don't have that programs' built-in corrections to work with. I am processing these all in Adobe Camera raw and feeling my way around some of the settings I should be using, especially sharpening.

At times I felt myself pushing the longer focal lengths too much and just decided to shoot as I would if I were using the better lenses, meaning 12-50mm or so is where I'll be MOST of the time, knowing the rest of the lens is there and I need to make sure to set the focus and aperture correctly for the subject as this lens is not as "forgiving" sharpness-wise (and you do not have dual-IS working for you), wide open between 125-150mm as the 12-100mm f4 is at 100mm and f4.

It was overcast yesterday so as I was shooting I used aperture priority, dialing in negative compensation as needed to keep the light levels in the colors at the Arboretum from going to high, shifting into manual exposure mode as the sun came out and set my own exposures.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow