Sony 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 is sharper than ZA 16-70 f/4

Started Apr 4, 2019 | Discussions thread
JohnNEX Senior Member • Posts: 2,344
Re: Sony 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 is sharper than ZA 16-70 f/4

Thanks for the test shots!

As someone who has posted quite a few test shots in the past, the most common response is usually some version of "you did the test wrong". Its very difficult to get a test totally right, and even if you do, the question of sample variation comes up - "your lens might be bad but my copy of it is amazing!"

I suggest a brick wall test for the mid and long end, with the camera about 8-10 metres away (30-ish feet). Remember you will then get predictable responses of, "I shoot real stuff not brick walls", but just ignore them. Turn OSS off, camera on tripod with the 5 second timer. If you are going to do test shots then you might as well go the whole way, and do a test which covers edge and corner performance as well as centre. When you test the wide-angle, find a scene at close to infinity, but not including trees which may sway in the wind or where the objects are so far away that atmospheric haze is a big factor. A nice city skyline is good, but not through glass!  Finding a good scene for a test is tough, but people here will appreciate it.

The Sony/Zeiss 16-70 is, by far, the most controversial E mount APS-C lens. There has been more forum flaming over it than any other lens, particularly before the 18-135 was released.

-- hide signature --

Sharpness scores and other stats for many FE lenses here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4348556
Fairly amateur photography here:
https://www.facebook.com/John-Clark-Photography-1035965476487072/

JohnNEX's gear list:JohnNEX's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow