EOS RP, any thoughts on sports/tracking?

Started Mar 2, 2019 | Discussions thread
Stokkes
Stokkes Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: EOS RP, any thoughts on sports/tracking?

Just got my RP from Amazon yesterday (along with the RF 35mm 1.8) and took a few shots of the dogs running outside.

Few preliminary comments:

• For the price, it's actually quite impressive how well it can track a 2 year old dog booking it and turning around very quickly, etc.
  • The AF does seem a bit "slow" or "laggy". I'm not sure how to describe it. As the dogs would move, I'd try to keep them as much as possible in centre of the frame. Whilst I got many to "hit", quite a bit were out of focus (I didn't post those)
  • From what I "hear" the 35mm isn't the fastest lens for tracking, but I don't have the 24-105 which I hear is much better for this stuff
  • "High Speed Tracking" which is available when using an RF lens makes a HUGE difference.

The sun has gone down a bit too much today to continue shooting, but I will take some shots and compare against the A7iii and the 50mm 1.8 that I also have in my possession. Just deciding which one to keep.

Here are the images SOOC. I'm a hobbyist so if these look out of focus, then your eyes are better than mine

Smaller, older dog (12 years)

Stokkes's gear list:Stokkes's gear list
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Apple iPad Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow