Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 16,336
Re: Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Gregm61 wrote:

Mine showed up today. The FedEX notification said "before 8pm" and Olympus required someone be there to sign, so of course I stayed close to home most of the day, with the FedEX truck pulling up right at 5pm.

Someday, we will all be reimbursed for time spent waiting past the promised time range given by deliveries, repairmen, contractors, inspectors.... It will add years to our life expectancy.

The physical look is similar to that of the 75-300 II and feels like I would imagine how that lens would if it were similarly gasketed like this lens.

The zoom ring is nice and smooth, with the exception of a small bit of extra resistance out-of-the-box somewhere around 150mm or so that seemed to smooth out a little bit as I worked it throughout the range and feels better when the lens is mounted on the camera. The resistance at 150mm or so was more pronounced zooming from 12-200 than when starting at 200mm and zooming back down. Size-wise, at 12mm it's basically about the same size, length-wise but not as thick as the 12-40mm f2.8 when set to 12mm. Weight-wise, it's night and day compared to the 12-100mm f4, two very obviously different lenses when compared with one in each hand, but there's nothing "cheap" about the feel of the 12-200. It's a very well made lens, just different materials.

Have long been impressed by the Oly quality of even the least expensive, which this is clearly not but not a Pro either, so good to know they did well. I think sometimes that "hitch" one feels at some point in a zoom's range is from a second set of cams being deployed, and a zoom range this massive must be very complex.

As late as it arrived I had little chance to do any shooting beyond the normal 1-2 subjects everyone has around home you might use to check for resolution compared to other optics. I now have the lens mounted on my E-M1X and plan to do a lot of architectural shooting with it tomorrow downtown which abounds with subject matter one can use to test the full zoom range. I may even make a side-trip out to the Arboretum as the close focus distance throughout the focal length range, like so many of these M. Zuikos, is impressive.

One note regarding what was "in the box", the B&H listing shows the lens case being included. The case was not in the box and I see nothing in the Olympus materials that says it should be, so B&H may just have that incorrect.

One use I already imagine utilizing is zooming this lens to 150mm and enabling the digital 2x zoom to "preview" the view at 300mm to see if I want to swap to that lens or not.

It's loaded in a Tamrac Velocity 8X bag, along with the 300mm f4, 7-14mm f2.8 and 8mm f1.8 Fisheye, all of which I plan on using during the day to see how the images compare.

Looking forward to your initial trials!

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow