D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
Laslo Varadi
Laslo Varadi Veteran Member • Posts: 5,407
Re: Happy with my D810 to Z7 jump

jfriend00 wrote:

Laslo Varadi wrote:

RumpelHund wrote:

z7: The combination of silent shooting, in-body-IS and on-chip-focussing makes it joy to shoot again on not too moving subjects. Would not bet on it for my dog running towards cam, here the D810 is better still.

Funny...

Th Z6/Z7 can do it.

That's a pretty good Z6 image. When examined at 100%, the DOF is pretty well centered between the front and back of the dog which is very good for a subject coming right at you. Further, it's good for a dark colored subject without a ton of contrasting elements. But, there does appear to be plenty of bright sunlight (judging by the shadow) so it isn't a particularly difficult set of circumstances to draw wide ranging conclusions from.

FYI, the EXIF gives us 1/1600, 220mm, ISO 800, but curiously does not give us the aperture.

Also, it's not fair to assume the Z7 has exactly the same capabilities as the Z6. This is one place where the two may have different strengths/weaknesses due to the different size/qty of AF sensors.

Anyway, nice to see the Z6 nail this one.

Hi John - Aperture was at F5.6.  I was testing out a new lens,  The Z6 CAN capture action.  The keeper rate is less % wise but you are shooting at faster frame rate than the DSLR.  If I know that I am going to shoot BIF or wildlife running around or even dog competitions I would choose my D850 and 70-200 F2.8 lens for shots such as this.  I was just testing/practicing.  My keeper % was about 65% with the Z and about 85% with the D850.

Laslo Varadi's gear list:Laslo Varadi's gear list
Sony a9 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow