D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
kanocto Regular Member • Posts: 199
Re: Much the same

JacquesC wrote:

Ira Blumberg wrote:

For me it was a no-brainer. The D800 was a nice camera, but it was sufficiently large and heavy that I almost never took it out. Instead, I used a D7200 and a Fuji X-T2. Given that the D800 was gathering dust, it made sense for me to dump it while it still had some resale / trade-in value. In addition, I dumped the D7200. It was a fine DX camera, but the Z7 is still smaller, lighter and it provides about the same resolution in DX crop format as the D7200. Thus, for me the Z7 replaced 2 cameras.

In fact, the Z7 with the kit 24-70 lens is only a bit larger and heavier than the X-T2 with its (very nice) 18-55 kit lens. Now, whenever I travel or spend the day away from home, I almost always take the Z7 rather than the Fuji. The Fuji still wins if I mount the pancake 27mm lens as that combo is really small and light. If only Nikon or Sigma would make a pancake lens in the 30mm to 40mm range for the Z, then I might not need the Fuji at all.

Anyway, if you are still using the D800 and its size and weight are not slowing you down, you can likely afford to wait for the next Z camera and a few more native Z lenses. Otherwise, if the D800 met your shooting needs, but you want something smaller and lighter, I don't think you lose anything going with the Z7.

Good luck

Much like you, I replaced two cameras (a D750 and a complete X-T2 system) with a Z7.

You have both now convinced me to go for z7. I just looked at xt3 and nice but you are right is not much smaller and I already have several Nikon lenses.

How long do I have to wait till some deal comes up? For around 1.1k Fujifilm has a great deal on kit plus prime but only for the xt30 which is too small for my hands!

I also found the Z7 + 24-70S to be close in size to the X-T2 + 18-55, just a bit heavier. In any event, the Z7 + 24-70S is now my main kit and working very well for me. I kept a 50 1.8G and 85 1.8G (both work quite well on the Z) and will add the 14-30S when that becomes available.

My wife (who is very fond of her D800, and loves her 14-24 f2.8) is now eyeing my Z7 and I suspect that once she sees the diminutive size and weight of the Z7 + 14-30 compared to her D800 + 14-24 she is going to want a similar setup.

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

-- hide signature --

kek

kanocto's gear list:kanocto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow