Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
tcab Junior Member • Posts: 40
Re: Robin Wong's 12-200 review is out

@auf - I haven't studied the CA and corner sharpness yet so can't comment. Zoom ring has resistance and requires a bit more force to get the last bit of the zoom lens out. Zoom and focus rings feel like metal - very nice feel. As for describing the perceived lack of sharpness - I thought I did pretty well with my phrase "micro-contrasty 3D feeling" Sharpness is good, not bitingly excellent, when stopped down. Here are some sample shots, using correct stopping down technique, all unprocessed and exported from Lightroom:

@1943Mike Unfortunately that wall is an hour's drive away, but here are a bunch of shots at 200mm, mostly stopped down as specified, all unprocessed and exported from Lightroom.

Interestingly, the rusty tank shot is taken at both f8 vs f11 and looking at it again, I can't see much if any difference in detail, suggesting you don't need to stop down to f9 and above for 200mm - and that f8 is sufficient. Though that might be because the rusty tank subject is far away. If the subject is close, then I would still stop down to f9, f10 or even f11 at 200mm.

200mm f11

200mm f8

200mm

200mm

200mm

tcab's gear list:tcab's gear list
Sony a7R Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow