Flash choice: Nissin i400 vs. Godox TT350O?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
jrsforums Senior Member • Posts: 1,175
Re: Flash choice: Nissin i400 vs. Godox TT350O?

kli wrote:

RebDovid2 wrote:

With a constrained budget, I’d like to replace the tiny flash that came with my Panasonic LX100 II. B&H is offering the Nissin i400 at $79.99 (normally, $149.99), today only. The well-reviewed Godox TT350O sells for $84.90.

Advice regarding comparative merits/demerits, or a better alternative in this price range, would be much appreciated.

To me, it pretty much comes down to whether you plan to use the flash primarily on-camera or off-camera.

The i400 can swivel 360º and is more powerful than the TT350 (which only swivels 270º), so it's better for on-camera use where you're planning on bouncing. But it has no optical or radio slave capabilities, so would require additional gear to use it off-camera (the i40 has optical slave modes, but no radio. The i60A includes radio).

But the TT350 not only has the "dumb" optical slave S1/S2 modes built-in, it also has a radio transceiver built in for the Godox 2.4 GHz radio system, and can be either a master or slave in that system. So it's far better for on-camera use where you want to trigger other off-camera flashes, or as an off-camera flash.

None of the Godox TT350/V350 models do "smart" optical, only dumb. And only the Canon/Nikon/Sony versions of the TT685/V860II do "smart" optical. There's no "RC" capability for µ4/3 users with Godox.

The Nissin i40 for four-thirds does have RC slave capability (aka "wireless" mode), which will allow for TTL, HSS, and remote power control. The Nissin SF/SD modes are similar to Godox's S1/S2 modes: manual "dumb" optical. S1/SF will fire on the first flash burst sensed; SD/S2 on the second burst sensed (skipping over the metering pre-flash for TTL). But optical slaving, whether "smart" or "dumb", always requires line of sight and loses reliability and range when used outdoors in bright sunlight away from bounce surfaces. Which is why most of us prefer radio triggering.

Help me understand what you mean by, “There's no "RC" capability for µ4/3 users with Godox.”.

jrsforums's gear list:jrsforums's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow