D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
OP Spare-time photog Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

olyflyer wrote:

thejohnnerparty wrote:

Oh, I completely agree. I was just surprised that it was only -1EV. I believe the D750 is good down to -3EV. That is why I was somewhat surprised.

Yes, but what's the point of AF down to -3EV if the meter only works down to 0EV...

The Z7 metering works down to -3EV (just like the D850), which I actually prefer more than AF down to -3EV. In my opinion, accurate metering system is more important than AF in total darkness. Also, I wonder if anyone ever used a camera to AF on any target at -3EV... I mean, that is definitely very dark.

Darker than dark...

"The 51 sensor points in the D800/D800E’s AF sensor module work down to -2 EV (ISO 100, 20°C/68°F), the approximate physical limit of human visibility through an optical viewfinder."

Found here: https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d800/features03.htm

The metering of the D800 is also only down to 0EV,

Ups, I didn't notice that before...

which can be the reason why I feel the Z7 is CONSIDERABLY better in low light situations than the D800 ever was, even though the AF of the D800 is better according to the specifications (not according to my experience).

Spare-time photog's gear list:Spare-time photog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow