D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
OP Spare-time photog Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Spare-time photog wrote:

So I send all my gear (the D800, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8) to Nikon to check and adjust. The result is better, but sometimes the camera struggles to nail the focus. Then I bought a 85/1.8 lens and it missed the focus a lot. By the way a second lens was even worse in combination with my camera. So Nikon checked and adjusted the 85 lens, too. The results are better, but I am still not convinced, that the miss-focus plague is gone forever,

STOP!

Hire a Z 7 with FTZ and try it during a portrait session - ideal after the May update.

A possible reason for your current AF frustration is you have not realised D800 outer points do not detect detail parallel to the long dimension of the frame.

Well, I know that the outer AF points are not cross type, but no matter how the detail is oriented, in my experience the outer points are rather weak and unreliable. FWIW that was also the result of several measurements with Reikan Focal. And the misfocus of the 85/1.8G was clear to see even using only the center field.

This is less than ideal for focussing on an eye with the camera in portrait position, especially if the sitter does not wear strong eye make up.

The Z's do not work well with detail parallel to the long dimension of the frame which is OK for some subjects but not for others.

You could end up jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with some AF subjects.

Ok, I think I got your point: As the Z7 has no cross type AF points, the AF system is probably as problematic as my D800, right?

The Z's should be better for focussing on the eye in portraiture once the May update is released.

Hopefully that update will not only include the eye tracking, but will also include enhancements of the capabilities of the AF system itself (and some usability improvements).

By hiring a Z you can quickly learn if you find it overall better or worse for the photography you do.

Yes, you are right, I am also considering a rent. But again I have mixed feelings, because even if I would rent it for a day, I am not sure if I can gain so much insights in such a short time compared to someone who has used it for weeks or months. Thus I created this thread to listen to the experiences and opinions of other users.

Spare-time photog's gear list:Spare-time photog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow