D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 26,552
Re: I had the D800 and dumped it for the Z7

Spare-time photog wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

No regret whatsoever so far after five months of use. I am happy with the AF, as well as many other things, compared with the D800 it's just great, I like it a lot.

That sounds very good to me. Are you also using back button focus with AF-C?

No, I don't use AF-C and back button. Never did that, not even with the D800.

But... the next generation will be better than this on, no doubt about that. This is normal and I don't worry about it. The Z7 will serve me well for the next coming years.

You are right, the next generation will always be better (hopefully :-))

But I am in doubt if it is the right decision to invest a lot of money in the Z7 right now. The question for me is, is the Z7 such a relief (AF system, AFMA, etc.) that it is worth to buy it now. And after reading all the opinions in this thread I tend to say yes, it is.

If it is worth buying it or not is a question you have to answer on your own. For me it was worth to leave the big D800 in the shop and to exchange it for the Z7.

Btw, do you use flash? Do you see any limitations regarding the lower flash sync time?

Yes I use flash and no the sync speed does not bother me. I grew up with 1/60s which was OK for me for several decades, so 1/200s is fine. If I need faster then there is the high speed mode also.

What is not awailable is the AF assist light, but I solved that issue with this external AF assist light.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow