D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
OP Spare-time photog Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

KuvaPanda wrote:

Switched from D800 to Z7 recently. Do mainly portraits with flash.

Is the lower flash sync time of any importance for you?

My D800 was a nightmare, only lenses with multiple microadjustment distances could be tuned to focus accurately, and even then backlight and colored light caused problems, often focusing 30cm to 1 meter behind target. Also there was a difference between the focusing points, so I was always using center point only.

Regrettably I can confirm that.

So far I've done only one portrait shoot with Z7, but quite a lot of testing. Looks like it doesn't focus on dim low contrast subjects as easily as D800, but when it does, it's more reliable. Maybe this is because the lack of cross type points. Anyway, for me, Z7 feels much better, just for the reliability and wide coverage of AF points that I can actually use.

So according to your experience the Z7 isn't able to focus in very dim light, when the D800 is still focusing (although unreliable)? As far as I remember the D800 was rated down to -2 EV and the Z7 only to -1EV without using low light AF mode.

Spare-time photog's gear list:Spare-time photog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow