D800->Z7 or wait for next generation?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
OP Spare-time photog Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: Happy with my D810 to Z7 jump

RumpelHund wrote:

Loving to shoot wide open (85/1.4, 24/1.4 and 200/2) I was massivly annoyed when I stepped from D700 to D800 and threw in another chunk of money for the D810.

To be honest, I didn't dare to buy the 85/1.4, instead I bought the 85/1.8, because I have not that much confidence in the D800 AF to manage that shallow DoF.

D700: no issues I ever realized

D800: AF on everything but eyes no matter what. AF plain unuasable in dark tungsten or even candle light.

Well, in my experience it is not that bad. Although the lighting conditions you describe are sometimes challenging. Often they lead to missfocued shoots, indeed.

D810: better than D800 but lots of misses on candle light or on backlight situations still, kept me frustrated

z7: The combination of silent shooting, in-body-IS and on-chip-focussing makes it joy to shoot again on not too moving subjects. Would not bet on it for my dog running towards cam, here the D810 is better still.

Running or walking? A walking model is hopefully covered by the AF system?

Frankly if I wasn't that invested in Nikon glass I would have jumped ship to sony for A9 and maybe A7rIII one day, but as it is the z7 is the best focussing experience I had with Nikon so far and can recommend it. The banding when pushing shadows is not as harmless as some say, though.

What do you use as a countermeasure? Do you use RawTherapee or the Nik Dfine tool?

In the past I pushed my D800 files not that much, because of an ugly color tint which appears if you push them to far.

In fact I think that the banding/striping issue is really something which one should consider. Hopefully Nikon will publish a solution for this, but I think that they will not even admit that there is a problem. So I am afraid that we are on our own, at least with RawTherapee and Nik Tools we have two solutions. (In the moment the Nik tools seem to be the better one, because one can integrate them more easily in the own workflow.)

Perhaps a commercial software company will also develop some solution, although I doubt that.

Pity I am lacking the time to get most out of my z7 these days, but since you asked for some opinion...

I appreciate your opinion, thanks!

Spare-time photog's gear list:Spare-time photog's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow