April firmware update for D500 etal

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
redhed17
redhed17 Senior Member • Posts: 1,799
Re: April firmware update for D500 etal

Andrew in Norway wrote:

JeffryZ wrote:

" in the future, CFexpress memory card support will be added to the Nikon D5 (XQD-Type), Nikon D850, and Nikon D500 digital SLR cameras as well."

Last week I bought an XQD card for my D500. Now I know that if I had waited I could have a CFexpress card with 1.5 GB/s write speed instead of my XQD card's measly 400 MB/s

What I could do with the extra write speed is another question. Would it permit more than a 200 exposure burst in RAW?

Just because the cameras would be able to use the CFexpress format doesn't necessarily mean any speed increases of the new card/format were able to be used by the cameras.

I think there is a 200 shot limit because of the camera potentially over heating. Although saying that, I've seen people (online) just lift off the shutter button at 200 shots and start again.

Can't say I have ever done 200 shots myself, not even to try it out. I've never filled the buffer, and that's good enough for me.

Nikon will go up in my estimation of them if they come through with the fFirmware update for the use of CFexpress with the D500, because the D500 has been ignored with with some firmware improvements compared to the D5, especially in the AF dept imho.

-- hide signature --

Redhed17
My hair is not red, and I am sadly way past 17. LoL
http://500px.com/redhed17

redhed17's gear list:redhed17's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow