Autofocus speed for M5/M50/M6 vs M10

Started Mar 31, 2019 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Cameranewbiehalp New Member • Posts: 3
Autofocus speed for M5/M50/M6 vs M10

Hi all,

I am fairly new with cameras.

My question is how fast does the M5/M50/M6 (or any EF-M camera with dual pixel auto focus) autofocus with an adapter and EF-S / EF lens compared to the M10 which does not have dual pixel autofocus. Will the speed significantly improve if I upgrade my body to an M5/M50/M6 from the M10?

Context below.

I purchased a very rebel model from an acquaintance which included what I am guessing is the kit lens and a telephoto lens.

On a whim, I purchased a M10 for travel and potentially be able to use the telephoto lens an adapter.

That was around 2 years ago. Fast foward to now, I have purchased a Rokinon 12mm manual focus (EF-M mount), Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC (Canon mount version with Canon adapter) and Canon 50mm prime (also used with an adapter).

Because I have been using the manual focus on the Rokinon for a while now and only use the Tamron on occasion, I had not used the autofocus for a while.

Recently I had to take some photos for work (not paid professional photographer but need to get a photo here and there) and realised how painfully slow the autofocus is with the Tamron. It takes at least 1 second to autofocus in ideal conditions and when indoors, it takes between 2-5 seconds to autofocus to actually not firing / taking the shot at all.

I tried the kit lens again and the autofocus speed was acceptable but not super fast. So now I have resorted to using the kit lens again and Rokinon for wide angle shots.

The Tamron and Canon 50mm is almost unusable unless I want to manual focus (which I do not want to have to do as I do not have a whole heap of time to learn). Will these two lenses have better autofocus performance if I upgrade the body?

ANSWER:
Canon EOS M10 Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow