Fogel70
Fogel70 Senior Member • Posts: 1,293
Re: The Missing Program Mode

TacticDesigns wrote:

Fogel70 wrote:

Tom_N wrote:

Fogel70 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

As the aperture closes down to f/5.6, I want the camera to increase the ISO value so that although less light is coming in because of the smaller ratio of the aperture, I end up with a JPG that is the same brightness because the camera is increasing ISO to brighten up the picture to the same level.

What would the exact set-up of the Pentax dSLR be to achieve this without using any auto exposure mode.

If the camera automatically adjust exposure, you are in auto exposure mode. What you want is an auto exposure mode, but one that is disconnected from the metering in the camera.

You've just described what the Auto Exposure Lock button does. All that is missing is a simple mechanical lock ("click to hold; click again to release").

That is basically how metering in manual mode works on my Pentax cameras. You press the green button for the camera to adjust exposure after the metering, and the exposure will be locked until next press of the green button.

+1

I use that on my Pentax K100d or ist DS when I am using my old Pentax-M 50mm f/2 lens.

But there is no "green" button on my camera. Instead I use the AE-L button.

But this doesn't get around the need to have a subject in front of you with the proper brightness to get a lock on.

For shooting cheer that is a problem.

Sometimes the athletes run onto the stage in darkness. And they don't turn on the lights until right before the routine starts.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/33575810891/in/album-72157631300869284/

So what that means is if I am doing this method, I am leaving setting my exposure settings to the last minute.

If the camera doesn't "choose" the settings I want, then I have to sit there trying to figure out how to "trick" the camera to get to the settings I want.

For a cheer routine, its only about 2 minutes long.

And I am trying to get pictures of as many athletes as possible for the yearbook.

So I chug through about 80-100 pictures per 2 minute routine.

The last thing I want to be doing is be fighting with the camera to get to the exposure settings I want, especially when I know what settings I want well before the routine starts.

That is one of the points of using spot metering. If you meter a small well defined part of the scene that you know the brightness of, it is easy to know how to set up the camera long before the shooting start.

And it would be nice to turn off the camera between routines.

There are up to about 8 teams from our club that compete at an event. So I am there all day. And there could be hours between runs. So I turn off my camera to save battery power.

I belive most cameras remeber last used exposure settings in manual mode.

Being able to set exposure manually and save it under a user setting means I set up my camera once in the morning and shoot those settings all day. And I don't have to wait for a scene to be the right LV in front of me to get a meter reading on. I am dialing in the settings manually so I don't need to wait for a properly lit scene.

This will only work if you shoot in the same conditions every time. FI shooting at the same place day after day.

But it is not a method I would use as rarely shoot the same place at same conditions two times. And even if I did I would not trust that light would be xactly the same, so I would not set exposure without input from light meter.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

Fogel70's gear list:Fogel70's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Pentax K-7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 Pentax K-3 II +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow