Re: The Missing Program Mode

Wheatfield7 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Wheatfield7 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Fogel70 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Wheatfield7 wrote:

My Pentax has user configurable shooting modes.

Problem solved for me.

+1

I wish that would solve it for me.

But it doesn't look like there is a camera out there that operates the way I am looking for it to operate.

I asked if anyone knew of a camera with this post . . .

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60834696

Take care & Happy Shooting!

I can get my Pentax cameras to work that way. They do not have user programmable program modes, but they have selectable program lines for different scenarios, FI one program line is called MTF in which the camera prioritize sharpest apertures.

By using program mode with progran shift together with below setting the shutter speed will be kept fast and the program shift basically only control aperture.

Use "sports" program line for the camera to prioritize fast shutter speed independent of focal length.

Use auto iso and set auto iso parameter to "normal" or "fast" for auto iso to switch to higher iso on faster shutter speeds.

Not sure if all brand can be set up this way, but Nikon has the minimum shutter speed setting for auto iso that probably can be used for this.

But the main problem with this is the metering, as you want a metering that meters a small portion of the scene. So you need to either use spot metering off the faces or use face detection that only meters off the detected faces.

+1

Thanks for the post.

I am a Pentaxian, but I am very skeptical that what I am asking for can be achieved with the current programming of the Pentax dSLR cameras.

I want to pick exposure manually.

f/4, 1/500, ISO 6400

I can achieve this easily with my f/2.8 zoom lenses as the lens is able to keep f/4 throughout the entire zoom range.

But I can't do this in manual exposure mode with my Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens because as I zoom out on my superzoom lens, the aperture drops to f/5.6.

What I want the camera to do is something pretty simple.

As the aperture closes down to f/5.6, I want the camera to increase the ISO value so that although less light is coming in because of the smaller ratio of the aperture, I end up with a JPG that is the same brightness because the camera is increasing ISO to brighten up the picture to the same level.

What would the exact set-up of the Pentax dSLR be to achieve this without using any auto exposure mode.

TaV mode. Lock the aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO float. Your desire is not possible without giving the camera some level of control.

Exactly.

What I am suggesting is that if we could program our cameras to work differently, then we could make this possible.

What I described in the OP was a method to make this possible.

You are saying you want auto exposure without auto exposure.

+1

Exactly.

Let's say I have my camera set to manual exposure.

But I toss on a variable aperture lens.

Everytime I zoomed, I'd have to change to see if my aperture setting changed.

If it did, and I wanted the end JPG to end up with the same brightness as my other pictures at a different aperture setting, then I'd have to manually go in and change my ISO value.

Ok. Here's the catcher.

I want to do this as I am shooting a cheer competition routine.

The routine lasts about 2 minutes.

I am trying to capture shots of as many of the (up to) 20 athletes performing on stage.

I usually walk away with 70-100 shots per 2 minute performance.

I physically don't have time to change ISO settings as I am zooming in and out.

I want the camera to do that for me.

Tav mode does exactly what you are asking for. I don’t know if any other manufacturer does it, but it’s a mode on the Pentax control dial.

Perhaps you should RTFM.

Nope.

Tav mode on Pentax does not do it.

Here's a link to the Pentax K-1 manual . . .

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1.pdf

On page 44 it outlines what TAV is . . .

"TAv Shutter & Aperture Priority Automatic Exposure".

Take note what it says under "Change Sensitivity"

Footnote says . . . "*3 Fixed to [ISO AUTO]."

So . . . auto-ISO.

I don't want auto-ISO.

I don't want the camera metering.

I want to dial in the exposure (brightness) myself so that there is no meter reading happening so that the camera doesn't underexpose backlit pictures like this scenario . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticdesigns/7196369006/in/album-72157631300869284/

All I want is that when the aperture changes (because I am using a variable aperture lens), that the ISO changes so that the end brightness of the JPG picture remains consistent across the set of pictures I take.

Manual exposure mode.

But ISO changes as the aperture changes on my variable aperture lens as I zoom in and out.

Side note: Yes. I shoot f/2.8 zooms for this now. But . . . every so often I need to use my superzoom on my cropped sensor body to get a wider angle of view to get a shot of the entire team when they are spread out across the stage. But more so . . . down the road when I am shooting my grandkids . . . cameras are at the point now that shooting (some) indoor sports can be done pretty well with a standard kit lens or a superzoom. The only thing missing is this slight bit of automation.

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow