The Missing Program Mode

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
TacticDesigns
OP TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 6,197
Re: The Missing Program Mode

Wheatfield7 wrote:

TacticDesigns wrote:

Wheatfield7 wrote:

My Pentax has user configurable shooting modes.

Problem solved for me.

+1

I wish that would solve it for me.

But it doesn't look like there is a camera out there that operates the way I am looking for it to operate.

I asked if anyone knew of a camera with this post . . .

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60834696

Take care & Happy Shooting!

You need to distill your thoughts to a few sentences.

My idea does not fit within a few sentences. LOL.

Ok. Two different ideas. Potentially 1 solution.

Idea 1) Shooting manual exposure with a variable aperture lens.

I currently shoot my daughters at cheer competitions with a constant f/2.8 zoom lens. (Actually two. I bring two cameras and have a telephoto on one camera and a wide angle lens on another.)

But every so often, the 28-75mm f/2.8 on my cropped sensor is not wide enough, so I put on my back-up lens . . . my Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens on the cropped sensor to try to get a wide angle shot of the whole team.

Here's the issue.

With f/2.8 constant aperture zooms, I can set exposure manually ( f/4, 1/500, ISO 6400) at the beginning of the competition and then shoot all the teams with those same settings.

But . . . when I need to toss on my variable aperture lens, I have to change the manual exposure settings to work with f/3.5 at the wide end of the superzoom.

But . . . as I zoom with the superzoom, the aperture narrows and lets in less light so as I zoom in, since I have the settings in manual exposure mode, the pictures get darker and darker as I zoom in.

I don't want to use an auto exposure mode, because there are often spot lights behind the athletes that will trick the camera to underexpose the shot.

All I want is when I zoom in with a variable aperture lens and the aperture gets smaller, that the camera increase ISO so that I end up with a JPG with the same brightness.

This means I would be able to shoot sports with manual exposure mode and a variable aperture lens.

Idea 2) Why only solve that problem when a programmable interface may be able to solve multiple things.

So. Instead of solving my specific wish. If there were a programming method to change how your camera operated, then a bunch of wishes might be able to be solved.

Like having shutter speed increase as you zoom out.

Those are the two basic ideas.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 Pentax *ist DS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
jnd
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow